Dr. Tara Egan, host
Anna, teen co-host
Armah Shiancoe, Educator & Author - guest expert
Today our special guest is Mr. Armah Shiancoe, Anna's teacher. Mr. Shiancoe teaches Business & Technology and Marketing, and he advises Future Business Leaders of America. He is a speaker, youth advocate and coach in the community, and has just written a book called, Leadership is a Choice. We are talking today about how his life experiences have influenced his teaching style, on the topic of "Raising Young Leaders". This is a GREAT episode to listen to with your teen.
Mr. Shiancoe's journey to becoming a teacher didn't happen in the most traditional way. We start the podcast discussing how he got to where he is today working with youth, how important education is, and how education and schools are keeping up with all of these changes in our lives, including COVID-19.
- How kids look to parents as role models, watching everything they are doing. It is so important for parents to always keep in mind.
- That Anna appreciates how he incorporates “life lessons” into his curriculum and his teaching style, by telling them information that they can use in the future, about lessons he learned the hard way. (For example, he speaks about making sure your work life reflects your interests and your passion, versus just focusing on what you “should” do, or a job that solely focuses on money).
- How he feels that if you are not learning from your mistakes, than you are an idiot. :) He believes it is a personal choice to hold yourself accountable.
- Mr. Shiancoe, tell us about a lesson he learned the “hard” way in college that really humbled him and made him "wake up".
- How he felt he always to work hard to show that he was deserving.
- He tells us that one of the greatest gifts we all get is CHOICE. His philosophy in teaching is that it is better to focus on "who you want to BE in life, not what you want to DO in life."
- Generalized, transferable skills are so important to learn because you can use them in any situation or area of life.
- We discuss the fact that millennials and members of the Gen Z interpret the working world differently. What can we do to keep them engaged and take advantage of their unique skill set?
- How he feels that young people can go about finding their voice and learning to advocate for themselves --To be able to be self reflective; figure out what they need, effectively express it and understand not everyone is going to meet that need and then move forward.
Mr. Shiancoe's book is all about his quest and thirst for knowledge, specifically leadership. He truly believes that leadership can be made at any moment. Then once you have that in you, you have the responsibility to go out and empower others.
To purchase Mr. Shiancoe's book, “Leadership is a Choice", go HERE
To learn more about Dr. Tara Egan's child & adolescent therapy services, visit HERE.
To join our private FB group for parents of high schoolers and soon-to-be high schoolers, visit HERE.
To join us on Instagram, visit HERE.
To learn more about Dr. Egan's online mini-course called "Managing Your Family's Technology and Social Media", created to help parents eliminate power struggles, keep your family safe from internet misuse, and reconnect with your family, go HERE.